May 19, 2011

Homegrown Spinach-Basil Pesto

Ever since I started growing basil (quite possibly my favorite herb) I've wanted to make my own pesto. I didn't quite have enough basil at the time to make a full batch so I used half spinach/half basil. I also didn't have pine nuts so I experimented.


Ingredients:
  • 2 cups fresh spinach
  • 2 cups fresh basil
  • 4 cloves garlic
  • handful of raw nuts (cashews, walnuts, brasil nuts, pistachios, almonds)
  • 1/2 cup or so grated parmesan cheese
  • enough olive oil for desired consistency

Put spinach and basil into food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Add garlic, nuts and cheese and mix until well blended. Pour in oil while processing until it looks like pesto.

homemade pesto!

Originally posted at Meiby the Pug last summer. This year I've planted lots of basil, a few different kinds even, so watch for more pesto recipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment