May 20, 2011

Caramelized Tofu and Brussels Sprouts

tofu and brussels sprouts

I used to hate tofu. Well, I used to think I hated tofu until I had some properly cooked. This recipe was one that turned me around. Now I kinda can't get enough tofu. I make this dish or a variation of it at least once a month. It's delicious!

The original recipe can be found over at 101 Cookbooks which is by far my favorite veggie cooking blog. Every time I make this it's a little different. I always use a whole block of extra firm tofu and usually serve it with rice. I like to experiment with different spices too like curry and cinnamon and red pepper. Therefore I've listed some of the ingredients as rough amounts because there's really no need to be super exact with this. If the tofu or sprouts stick to the pan, add more oil. Taste periodically for spice/salt level.



Ingredients:
  • 1 - 16 ounce package of extra-firm tofu cut into cubes or strips
  • sea salt
  • olive oil
  • minced garlic
  • handful of chopped pecans
  • light sprinkling of brown sugar
  • handful of chopped cilantro
  • 1/2 to 1 lb. of Brussels sprouts chopped into strips or quarters
  • (additional spices as desired)
Cook the tofu strips in large hot skillet with a bit of salt and a splash of oil. Saute until slightly golden, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and pecans, and cook for another minute. Stir in sugar. Cook for another couple of minutes and sprinkle with other spices if desired. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro. Set aside.
In the same pan (no need to wash), add a touch more oil, another pinch of salt, and dial the heat up to medium-high. When the pan is nice and hot stir in the shredded brussels sprouts. Cook for 2 - 3 minutes, stirring a couple times (but not too often) until you get some golden bits, and the rest of the sprouts are bright and delicious. Sprinkle with spices and toss together with the tofu. Serve with rice or quinoa or couscous for a full satisfying meal.

Serves 2 - 3 as a main, 4 as a side

No comments:

Post a Comment