June 8, 2011

Tuna Salad Wraps

Yea, this is a bit of a departure from vegetarian but I think I'll look into a vegetarian alternative in the future. I ate this for lunch pretty much every day last week. I made up a batch of the tuna salad at the beginning of the week and assembled the wrap in a matter of minutes each day. This is, of course, a very basic and easily customizable idea. I would normally put a chopped pickle or celery in my tuna salad for crunch but the "toppings" here take care of that.

Ingredients:
  • 2 pouches or cans of tuna (1 can of mashed chickpeas may be a good vegetarian alternative, I'll get back to you on that)
  • a few tablespoons of hummus
  • 3 hard boiled eggs, chilled
  • a bit of mayo or plain yogurt (just enough to reach desired consistency)
  • a handful of chopped cilantro (or your fresh herb of choice)
  • a small handful of chopped pecans or walnuts or sunflower seeds
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • various toppings for sandwich assembly, I like sliced black olives, sliced red peppers, baby spinach, feta cheese
  • flat bread or big tortillas (I used Flat Out Bread)

Directions:
  • peel and dice the eggs and mix together with tuna, hummus, mayo, cilantro, nuts, salt and pepper.
  • Chill (it will keep in the fridge for a few days)
  • Assemble your sandwich by placing your favorite toppings and the tuna salad in the middle of the wrap and roll it up. 


Lindy Loo has a well received vegan "mock tuna salad" recipe that seems worth trying if you don't do tuna :)

No comments:

Post a Comment