October 6, 2011

Red Lentil and Butternut Squash Curry Soup

I found this recipe at Martha Stewart's website (of all places) yesterday and I just happened to have everything I needed to make it at home already. So of course I had to try it out. I followed the recipe pretty closely except I did not make my own curry spice mix (I just used a store bought curry powder) and I added a bit of orzo pasta to bulk it up a bit. Delicious!

Ingredients:

  • 2 Tbsp curry powder
  • 2 tsp sea salt
  • 1 tsp ginger powder
  • 1 half a sweet onion, diced
  • 2 Tbsp minced garlic
  • 2 Tbsp butter
  • 1 butternut squash, seeded, peeled, cubed
  • 4-5 cups water + 1 bouillon cube
  • 8 oz red lentils
  • 1/4 cup of orzo pasta
  • a dash of red pepper flakes for extra heat
  • salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

  • Melt butter at medium heat in a big pot or dutch oven and add salt and curry powder and stir for a minute.
  • Add onion and garlic and saute until translucent. Stir in ginger powder.
  • Add squash to pot, stir and let cook for about 5 min. until squash starts to soften.
  • Add water and bouillon and heat to boiling. Reduce heat and let simmer for 10 min. (at this point I used my potato masher to mash some of the squash a bit.)
  • Stir in lentils and orzo and simmer for 10 to 15 more min. until soft.
  • Taste and add spices as desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment